FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest jet slides off rainy runway at MDW
Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:19 pm
texashoser

Originally Posted by expert7700
per Wiki, they did install an EMAS system on Runway 13C/31, which is commonly crushable cement. I really don't know what I'm looking at in the chicago tribune video so I'll be waiting until the experts chime in on whether or not the plane was slowed down by the EMAS system or if it veered off the runway a before crossing over the the EMAS

I hope the data recorders didn't get over written, which from what I read is pretty common due to the FAA allowing local storage and allowing fairly short <x> minute loop time on recordings. This is in no way specific to Southwest but with all commercial aviation... I think that if the plane was left on while passengers deplaned or while it is pulled back to the gate some data may get over written.
It appears from the video that the plane slid off the side of the runway in a tarmac, runup area. In fact, it looks like the front and main gear are fine and the plane may need no repairs. If the aircraft had hit the EMAS system, the front landing gear would have collapsed.