FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air India announces Australia non-stop
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:01 am
flyinsikh

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Originally Posted by SQ421
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the student market in the coming years as the Australian Dollar strengthens (it has gone up from 33INR to 47INR in the last 6 years that I've been here); and the Australian Government tightens its migration program which makes studying in Australia as a less certain path to Permanent Residency.
If we ignore the student market, I think there are about 250,000 people of Indian origin majority residing in SYD & MEL., then the other satellite cities of ADL, PER, BNE.... Will be interesting to check the stats from the 2011 CENSUS and see the trend in the population, but if Australia is thinking of India being it's 2nd largest trade partner after China, there surely is a need for a direct link ? I am also wondering, if AI sought an injunction against 9W & KF blocking them rights to MEL while AI settles in, there could be some demand there, or is it HERD mentality with the likes of 9W & KF to jump on routes where AI enters? perhaps if these routes don't work AI could think of going via SIN with DEL-SIN AI480/481 flight extending to MEL/SYD ??

Maybe they can also pull some of the trans-tasman Indian population to connect onto the MEL route??

Although the current connections are plentiful, with SQ,MH,TG,CX,QF/9W link providing excellent daily connections to DEL with decent connection times varying around 2hours transit time in SIN,BKK,HKG..

I personally think if AI times it connections well it could captilise on the Kangaroo route, to FRA,CDG **provided the fares are competitive** as the AUS-Europe bound traffic is also made up of a high number of backpackers/students who currently take the likes of Royal Brunei, CA to Europe or Air Asia

Has there been any failed routes for AI in which it has pulled out? like the case with 9W and it's SFO-PVG flights ??

Lets also not forget CARGO ?, bearing in mind if AI also keeps it fares attractive to DEL, with the possibility of Virgin Australia feeding in domestic connections to AI will obviously fill up the seats? maybe the demand for cargo will be sufficient to justify the route's existence? As Virgin Australia has hinted it want's to tie up with the Indian market, it either plans to enter India using it's own metal or may tie up with other airlines offering links to India.

Just on a side note, previously I have read since the QF/9W codeshare, 9W would never enter Australia but if the AI article report is correct as AI has sought the injunction on 9W/KF to enter MEL what's that gota say about the relationship of 9W/QF??

Last edited by flyinsikh; Apr 26, 2011 at 8:09 am