FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Really, does Amtrak always suck so badly?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:32 pm
AlanB
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by BobKinkaid
The basis of my writing is the large volume of perception records in my database of experience, in which nearly every experience (record), with Amtrak has registered as a bad experience.
With respect Bob, you either not been on a long distance train in a very long time and/or you need to update your database of experience. While I disagree with much of what you wrote, here's the biggest tip that your database needs updating.

No dining car attendant in at least the last 7 years would ever hand you a pencil to fill out your menu card. Passengers are not allowed to fill out anything on the guest check, except for their car & room number and their signature if they are in a sleeper. Additionally, pencils are not allowed to be used on the guest checks ever!

All guest checks must be marked with a black pen only. They can't use pencils and they cannot even use a blue pen. Those guest checks are scanned by a computer to account for inventory on the train. Anything other than a black pen mark cannot be read by the computer and the Lead Service Attendant is left being responsible for the missing inventory.

The crews are well aware of the repercussions of this rule and would never, ever hand you a pencil and ask you to fill out the guest check. In fact, they won't even give you the guest check to touch at all if you're not in a sleeper. If you are in a sleeper, they are quite specific that you are not to mark off any choices for food, but only to sign and provide a room/car number.

There is also no comparing Amtrak to United/American or any other airline. Airlines get their food delivered 30 minutes or less before departure and they know how many people are going to be on the flight. Amtrak gets its food delivered a few hours before the train leaves the first station. And the train can be in transit for up to 2 days, with people getting on/off along the way and tickets still being sold at upcoming stations.

Not to mention that if the flight does actually provide a meal, then it's a pretty safe bet that everyone will eat the meal. On Amtrak about the only people guaranteed to eat meals are those in the sleeping cars where meals are included. One has to guess how many coach passengers will actually go to the dining car vs. the cafe car vs. having brought something onboard with them.

There is no simple, valid comparison.

So again, with respect, I have to believe that it's been quite some time since you've been on an Amtrak long distance train. It's time to update your database.