FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How SHOULD it be done?
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2011, 4:01 am
SQ421

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WillCAD
* Airlines should be given direct access to DoD and DHS no-fly lists. No tickets should be sold to anyone on these lists. No persons on these list should be employed by any business which has access to the airport or planes.

* A system should be developed to allow those whose names are similar to someone on a no-fly list to verify their identity to the airline so they can book their flights and get jobs.

* Nothing private should be documented. Pax should be required to show ID only once - at the gate.
No-fly list does little if anything to enhance aviation security. Once in a blue moon, it might prevent someone like the Times Square bomber from leaving the country but outside of that, the no fly list doesn't seem to be much effective.

For my money, I don't care if Osama Bin Laden is flying 1A between LAX and LHR. So long as he has been properly screened before being let into the secure area, he should be allowed to fly.

For me, I don't really understand the obsession with ID checks either. For the past 7 years, all my domestic flying has been done without showing ID to anyone. And no airplanes have fallen out of the sky.

If an airline staff wishes to check ID's before issuing boarding passes, or checking ID while boarding, fine. There's no need for anyone involved in passenger screening to be checking ID's