FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NOW EXPIRED] PROMO: SPG Getaway Free (Earn May-July 2011)
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:56 pm
mreed911

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by WampaCow
Like earning elite status, there should be a way to earn these through nights stayed as well as stays.
Why? If *W wants to increase STAYS, and would also like those stays to be multi-night (as most STAYS are), then why would they run a promo that encouraged NIGHTLY stays when they want STAYS which are more likely to be multi-day?

Oh, wait, you mean "there should be I way I can earn these through nights stayed as well as stays..." Sorry, didn't see the implied you, since *W promos are obviously built around your needs and not those of the company.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's a PROMO. You're getting MORE than they offered you when you signed up for SPG. They've taken NOTHING away. If you don't qualify, too bad... this is to entice those that aren't earning like you are to alter their behavior. And, let's face it... most folks will EARN one or two nights, but want three or four, so they'll book PAID stays at these resorts on top of the free rooms. If they made earning easier, they'd have lots of people staying three or four nights free and not earning ANY revenue. It's really NOT HARD to figure out what *W motivation is - more PAID stays.

Originally Posted by WampaCow
It's like if an airline offered a reward only for segments and not for miles (people who flew long, expensive routes would be screwed).
You mean like the DEQM promos that do NOTHING for me since I qualify on segments? Should I whine because the DEQM's I get don't help ME? Since I fly short routes, I'm screwed (by your logic). I'd LOVE to see a double segment credit promo... but airlines don't need more people to fly for the hell of it, they need to push people to fly in planes that need more average load. That way instead of flying MCI-ORD-SFO, I fly MCI-DFW-SFO instead, and they fill up DFW-SFO.

Promos shape traffic. *W is obviously looking for people to shift stays to *W brands, and compensating them with something that's likely a way to get even MORE paid stays when they're exchanged. Take from that what you will... but you're certainly not getting shafted. You still get exactly what they offer at your level of SPG.