FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United forcing to gate check a bag to destination
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:29 pm
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Pyridoxine
That could make sense in most situations, however, This trip is the one where i get my first stage status as a 2p. So during the trip i would have had to pay the bag fees for each leg.
Negative on that.

You pack two bags: one small enough to be your personal item, and one small enough to fit in the overhead (according to the sizer, and wheels count), but nonetheless you assume as a M+ general member with no status, even though you have a window seat in seating area 2, you will be forced to gate check. Bring both through security.

If you are forced to gate check to your final destination, UA does not (in my observations) charge a fee (this is greatest money saving travel tip for the non-elite on UA: UA's bag fees are for the check in agent; UA apparently loves it if you haul your checked bag to the jet bridge, and hates it when a pax's credit card to pay a gate check fee denies the charge).

On many flights at least half the pax are seating area 1 or better, so seating area 2 is not always good enough. I've often just arrived before *G/1P boarding is called, and find that the F overhead bins are full. F has more overhead space per pax, than E- or E+.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm