FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reward Booking
Thread: Reward Booking
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:02 am
Jaimito Cartero
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by c2lass
We are looking to use points to stay in Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi in February 2012. Great deal of 20000 points per night compared to Crowne Plaza next door (where we stayed this Feb) which is 25000 points per night.

Firstly, we would need to do two bookings as we each don't have enough points in our own right for the total stay. However, I have emailed the hotel and asked if they would be able to link the bookings which they said they would.

I have also asked them about the 10% service charge and 6% tourism tax which Abu Dhabi Hotels charges as I realise we would have to pay this. They fail to answer my question which I have now asked for the third time.

My concern is that at the moment the rates quoted on the IHG website for next February are extremely high. The hotel itself by email has quoted me 500AED for a suite per night at the Staybridge Suites for next Feb. However, the website is quoting 3350AED per night. So, what is the 16% calculated on?

If it is calculated on the 3350AED that amounts to 536AED per night which is higher than the room rate the email from the hotel

I assume to book reward nights I will need to do it through the website rather than the hotel but I do not want to pay 536AED per night in taxes?

Can anyone explain please how this works?
In almost all cases you don't pay any taxes on an award stay. You paid $0 for the award, so nothing to tax.