FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3 weeks in Europe: critique my packing list
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:41 pm
phedre

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
You can always take a gamble, but my experience is that converters & appliances that produce heat don't play well with one another. I've burned out at least one hair dryer that way, and found that other appliances get too hot/not hot enough/start to make strange noises when used with converters.
Yeah, I definitely don't want to risk burning out this thing. It's been a holy grail for making my hair presentable.

Originally Posted by scoow
Does your camera use a special battery / memory card? You didn't list charger/spares. I take LOTS of pictures, so that's always high on my list.
Nope, plain old AAs. I do have a small charger and rechargeable batteries, I'll have to add those to my list.

I'll second the "it may be colder than you think" posters above. I've frozen in Venice in May - and the breeze off the water can be wicked cold! Of course two days later I was in Florence, the sun came out & I was in short-sleeves.
I think I'm a freak from that perspective - it has to get down to ~mid 30s before I start to feel chilly in a light sweater. Probably comes from growing up in the far north. I'm bringing lots of layers that will work together though, so I think I'll be covered.

I also include sunglasses, passport, plane tickets, hotel reservations, and credit/ATM cards as "major essentials" on my packing list.
Sunglasses I always lose or break. I always end up buying cheap ones as I go. I am keeping all hotel reservations/tickets/etc on my iPad for easy access and scanning. I'm a bit torn on whether to print off physical copies due to sheer bulk of paper. But I probably will, I'm too paranoid not to. I'll just have to smash them in somehow!