FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Cards That Allow Points Conversion to Airline Miles (1 to 1 or better)
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:00 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisInSD
Only what currently available? Card that can transfer to CO? Only card with no annual fee?

SPG AMEX can do this, but at 2:1.

Another option is the AMEX Membership Rewards program--I transferred MR pts to CO in the past. However, remember that points earned in the AMEX program are subject to a hefty "excise tax" (I don't believe this is a tax; it is an AMEX fee) of about 1/10th of a cent per pt. So transferring 25,000 miles from an AMEX card to your FF acct will cost you $25.

The Chase card allows you to transfer to only 2 airlines, and has an annual fee.

Others correct any errors or omissions.
CO won't be around in another year or so. It will officially merge with UA sometime next calendar year (2012).

AMEX MR is ending the ability to transfer to CO in September 2011.

Just how many points do you envision earning on a card, that you can transfer to CO in time?

Otherwise, I would suggest either focusing on transfering to UA (since CO miles will be UA miles in a year or so anyway), or another *A airline as some have suggested.

Meanwhile, the only type of cards that allow you to transfer to airlines that don't have an annual fee transfer at way less than 1:1. They are typically other (besides SPG) hotel cards. The best (5:4) would be WyndhamRewards MC, via Barclays/Juniper.

If you want 1:1, you have to learn to live with annual fees, at least "on paper". If it were AA miles you wanted, you could get a Citi card with first year annual fee waived, and then at least some years try for a "retention" offer which for many people gives an option of getting a credit equal to the annual fee for some sort of minimum number or amount of purchases in the near future (relative to when they call). But I'm not aware of most other banks waiving or offsetting the annual fee on subsuquent years, and Citi doesn't support any other airlines besides AA.