FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:52 pm
mnredfox
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by charlie1960
I find it interesting and curious as to why some posters think there is no need for insurance because they are "low risk." The whole point of insurance is to protect against unpredictable events that can be catastrophic. And none of us can predict that our low risk lifestyle will not get hit by a car. I'm guessing that those people who think travel insurance is a waste of money (yes, it is way overpriced but, as I pointed out elsewhere, this is America) are (1) making a hefty sum that they don't need to fret about OP expenses; (2) young and invincible; (3) in believe that they will be protected from bad things.
Well, "waste of money" is a personal decision. I know for a fact that moondog has lived in China a long time and never needed it. I have visited China many times and have lived in China for quite some time as well and don't need it.

If I had a massive stroke or some other massive emergency requiring help, well then to be honest it wouldn't matter what insurance I had. I would have to be operated on in China. To be honest it would have to be non-life threatening to be able to be evacuated from China back to your home country. Since that is the case, I always was willing to bare that risk on myself having to cough up some expensive airfare to get myself back to the US. But to me, I'm not all about worrying about all of the "if's" when it comes to things going wrong. I get my vaccines, but otherwise China is no different when it comes to risk than any US city if you ask me. Yes HC is not the same, so really the "insurance" you are paying for is for a plane ride back to your home country. For me, I wouldn't pay $200/person for 3 weeks of in case. But again, that's just me, to each their own.