FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:17 pm
HNLbasedFlyer

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
The rap I heard on the Sheraton is that the pools aren't heated. I did a walkthrough of the property during my stay at the WM in February, but I neglected to stick my hand in a pool there to see how cold it was. How cold are they?

The pools at the WM are at least heated a little bit, which helps if you're visiting in February.

And that walk to Whaler's from the Sheraton is kinda long if you're making a late night run to the ABC store to get something your wife is craving! WM is much closer.

Otherwise I felt that the Sheraton was set a lot further back from the water than the WM which would mean not as good ocean views as the Westin. Also, a conventioneer from the Sheraton was sitting next to me at the bar at Leilani's one night, and he told me the wait staff at the Sheraton's restaurant was downright rude. May have been a simple case of YMMV...
I live in Hawaii and hate getting in cold water. I've never had a problem getting in the pool in winter at the Sheraton - it isn't "warm" water - but it comfortable, especially after being in the sun. Definitely warmer in the pool in winter than the ocean.

I stay at the Sheraton all the time - but never stayed at the restaurants on property - to expensive - the walk to the ABC store (5-7 minutes) is longer than the Westin - but I usually do my ABC run when in Lahaina or go to the Safeway and stock up.

A lot of the plat upgrades at the Sheraton to a suite are not ocean front, but they are ocean view - but they are good with upgrades. You can get stuck with Mountain view at Westin if unlucky.

I will say though - I've gotten some great oceanfront upgrades at the Westin, it is just not as reliable as the Sheraton.