FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA56 RTO (rejected take off) 30/03/11...
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:38 pm
bubu-SNA

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
my only RTO...

Had an RTO with multiple blown tires on a Delta 767 in leaving ACC to JFK back in the summer of 09. Nose was in the air I believe, rear wheels still on the ground and the pilot slammed it back down...not gently. Damaged the nose landing gear...delta stranded me in Accra for 3 days. No other Skyteam airline flew in to ACC at the time so Delta would only re-route me on another airline (LH) in coach when I had a business class ticket (with no fare refund). They refused to off-load luggage for 2 days due to the risk of the plane "tipping" over...direct quote. Someone else said it was because of security reasons. Who the hell really knows. Turned out some engine flap did not close on take-off or something a rather. Ended up with a $500 e-cert as an "i'm sorry"...

I have no idea how they got the plane fixed, it had structural damage and ACC does not have the expertise or facilities...plane was still on the tarmac 3 days later when Delta finally got another aircraft out there for all the stranded passengers. RTO's are scary and I'd not wish em on anybody...much less a less seasoned traveler.