FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:25 am
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by trooper
I have used 3 different insurers for cover on US trips.. and the MAIN cover wanted was comprehensive medical....

If I get injured/ill over there I don't want to pay the costs of treatment, that's for sure.

All of those policies covered unlimited medical treatment AND medical evacuation home...

Not sure where the idea came from that medical cover on Travel Insurance for foreigners in the US was non-existent or "limited"??
An annual policy cost me (single guy) about AUD$580 last year... with higher than normal "single item" cover...

Don't know how anyone could insure for US travel for 10 Euro per annum...
I don't recall reading that upthread. This thread has focused on US citizens/residents needing coverage abroad, and as a secondary tangent, that products commonly available to them are different than for residents of other countries traveling abroad (implied is to non-US locations). The issue of insuring foreigners visiting the USA is completely different.

@Charlie--since you feel you need the trip cancellation insurance, I see why you feel you are locked into those comprehensive policies. Your choice, but it's way too much money. But at least you are going into it having done research and considered your alternatives.

And here's where I want to bring up another point and to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, all-caps: IF YOU CAN PLAN A TRIP TO CHINA INDEPENDENTLY YOU DON'T NEED TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE. This is because except for air tickets--where the cancellation risk can be managed differently by booking carefully--and accommodation--where many options are available cancellable 1-3 days in advance--there really aren't many more advance payment types of items. When you don't need trip cancellation insurance bundled in with medical, you can focus on what counts and then the choice of travel medical options gets vetted differently.