FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA wants to test your drink -- at the gate
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:14 pm
TXagogo

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any final word regarding the "testing" of personal drinks at the gate?

Hi folks,
I know this has been discussed before but I'm wondering if anyone ever found out exactly what the status is on this magical drink strip testing. I know this has been going on for quite some time now but first I will give my story, then my questions.

I was flying out of STL about a month ago and here's what happened:

About 20 minutes before borading I notice 3 smurfs show up and start hanging around the gate area. Incidentally, all three were obese and looked like they had just rolled out of bed. But I digress.

It was a crowded gate since the flight was full. After a few minutes of standing around, they start walking through the seating area and asking people for their drinks so they can hold the drink strips over them. I had heard about this happening but had never witnessed it so I was very careful to watch closely. EVERY person I noticed willingly handed over their drinks (which they were consuming at the time) to these filthy smurfs without question or concern. Did no one think to ask: "How can this be a dangerous substance if I am CURRENTLY IN THE ACT OF CONSUMING IT??"

Next, just before boarding begins, the gate agent makes an announcement that I will try to repeat as closely as possible from memory:

"Ladies and gentlemen, our local TSA is going to be doing a random screening of drinks during the boarding process this afternoon. If you would please cooperate with them during this process and step aside if you are selected we would greatly appreciate it."

During this time the slovenlies are still fighting a war on everyone's drinks and now there is a man standing at the doorway holding a clipboard and watching everything as if he is guarding Fort Knox. My assumption is that his job was to steal personally identifiable information from anyone who refused to allow the slovenlies to touch their drinks. However, this was just a guess.

So my questions are:

1. What are the rules regarding refusal of this test? There are signs all over the airports saying that all belongings are subject to search so one would assume this means your drinks as well. Does anyone know have factual information as to what happens to those who refuse?

2. Has anyone witnessed someone being pressured or intimidated or harassed into releasing personally identifying information because they refused a liquid test at the gate?

Thanks...