FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:11 pm
HNLbasedFlyer

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by randys1
thanks youndga5, i think i will cancel my resv and move to Grand Wailea...
Oh come on - you can get a suite at the Ritz Carlton down the road for what they are charging at the Grand Wailea.

First off - for all you resort fee haters, the Grand Wailea charges a $20/day resort fee. This Starwood only resort fee is a big myth on these forums.

The pool area gets really crowded at the Wailea - often with screaming kids. Want a drink or food, break out a lot of cash. It's a hugely expensive property. Pool chairs at a premium. If you said you were moving to the Hyatt or Marriott I could buy that story.

Also, don't stay at the Westin, stay at the Sheraton. More relaxing - better upgrades - less stress.

I'm not going to plug in a billion dates, but lets take May 8 - May 15.

Least expensive, non-view room at Wailea is $399 - Westin about $250. Expect parking lot for both properties at those rates with no status.

Want an ocean view room at Wailea, try $619 a night - yep, about double of a AAA rate Westin deluxe ocean view - you can't even book a room above $450 at the Westin.

Ok, so I have cash to spend in Hawaii - A 1 bedroom suite at the Maui Ritz Carlton, same dates above, which is a phenominal property, is $595/night - less expensive than an ocean view room at Wailea.