FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uncooperative Pax meets a Billy Stick
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:03 pm
barberio

Originally Posted by mre5765
The FA is at fault for starting a fight over a rule that does not exist. She was on a power trip. As for justification for assault, I've produced the legal precedents
I'm weirded out by the idea that somehow it's "making up rules" to ask for Cell Phones to be off before they close the door. The FAA rule is that once the door is closed, no phones are to be operational. And the airline can be fined if there are.

Make note of that, liability for the airline starts when the doors close. They don't close the doors, *then* ask you to turn off your phone. They *must* ask you to turn off your phones before they close the doors, so that once they close the door they are not in violation.

They won't close the door if there's a passenger refusing to turn off their phone, or not accepting exit row instructions, or leaving some hand luggage dangerously half-stowed, or any of the other things they need to check for when they walk up and down the aircraft. And part of the reason is they may well need to offload a passenger who's causing a problem, something they reserve the right to do in the contract of carriage.

This reminds me of a flight a couple nights ago. I'm sitting in first class reading email on my phone. The tray table is out because of the preflight drinks. An FA announces that phones need to be powered off which I proceed to do. While I am doing that another FA rips me one for having my tray table out. Note that there was no announcement to stow tray tables.
It's in the safety information that every seat has a copy of. The one you were told to read in the announcement. And if you haven't been given the standard tray-tables up announcement on flights before, then you're not a frequent flyer.

Moreover it was first class; she should have stowed it herself if she thought it was critical. Meanwhile I am making sure my phone is powered off ... Not because I care about her stupid rule but because I don't want the battery drained while in flight.

People who make minimum wage shouldn't have that kind of authority and people responsible for safety ought to have a triple digit IQ.
The FA is not your mom. The FA is there to look after the safety and comfort of all the passengers, not tend to the demanding needs of a jerk. Next time, put up your own tray table, turn off your phone on the announcement not when they're walking the aisles. If you're that disorganised that you can't cope with these kind of things, perhaps you should hire a personal assistant, and pay for their seat.

Now I gather most people on this thread think I should be removed for pointing out these facts and observations to the FA.
On behalf of other plane passengers, I'd like to invite you to take the train.