FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status Rollcall
Thread: Status Rollcall
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:02 am
boeing727

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
105 nights last year (2010) all in the same hotel where my office is located. Expect to stay 145 nights this year (same hotel), BUT I pulled the plug on Holiday Inn Express (well at least the one I've been staying at). Just goes to show you how one hotel can have a significant impact on the entire chain if they provide poor customer service. Shifted my business to a local Hampton Inn who was more than happy to pass on a nightly rate $15 less than where I had been staying, upgraded me to a jacuzzi suite, and always holds "my room" for me when I am in town.

What happened at the Holiday Inn Express I was staying at?

1. Won't make any effort to curb smoking in rooms. Many nights I had to borrow cardboard and duct tape to seal off vents in bathroom and above hot tub to keep smoke from pouring in (this is a non-smoking hotel).

2. After more than 2 years and over 180 room nights, the hotel raises my rate without even telling me. I had to find out when I saw what I thought was an incorrect folio. When I mentioned to the staff that my company won't pay the higher rate due to expense guidelines, I was accused of not being loyal to Holiday Inn by several members of the front desk crew.

3. Front desk told me the Manager knew of my concerns regarding the higher rates, but said he wouldn't address it unless I came to him first and asked for help. His ego exploded when he heard I discssed my concerns originally with the front desk folks.

4. TV's have never worked right. Need 2 remotes to control sound, channels, on and off, etc. A "how to guide" is in every room so you can figure out how to turn on the TV.

5. 2 year old property has many things simply falling apart. Leaky ice machine has had a caution sign in front of it for a year. Towel racks fall off wall and rdrop your towels in the toilet. Breakfast is almost always late and bacon is rarely seen but more than once a week.

I could go on, but for $15 less per night, I am enjoying being spoiled with pillow top beds, manager's receptions and an excellent staff over at the Hampton. Again, one hotel blew over 145 nights this year for Holiday Inn. I voted with my pocketbook!