FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can they be ready for the World Cup?
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:54 pm
SoCal

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
It is true that different air carriers go to other cities in Northern Brazil. However, that is not the issue of this thread. The issue is that there appears to be little, if any, work in progress in Rio and Sao Paulo in preparation for the two major upcoming attractions to Brazil (World Cup and Olympics).
-
Exactly. I wasn't clear, but my point about GRU was that, although the lines moved reasonably enough on a non-holiday Saturday afternoon, the crowds expected for the World Cup could overwhelm the place. Ditto for FOR and, I suspect, some other locations. Recife's airport is one of the better ones in the country, I feel. Facilities for baggage handling, dining, and parking are also inadequate for extremely large crowds in FOR and may turn out to be insufficient at GRU and GIG.

Having enough flights into the Norltheast, and perhaps the North, from Europe (though damn few from the U.S.) may allow more people to fly to certain venues without going through GRU or GIG but may just do all the more to overwhelm the airports where they do land. As people in many countries have learned (often to their chagrin), airport renovation and expansion can take years more than first expected.