FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Snack in F on UA means something different than Snack in F on CO
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:15 pm
redheadtempe33

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by cova
Flew ORD-DCA today in F on UA. Last time I flew UA in F has been over 10 years.

I did not expect that food would be served, however I checked with an agent at the ORD RCC and she said that a snack was served and that meant either a sandwich or salad. I still wasn't sure - so I checked united.com and it said domestic snack is either a "snack basket" - ie bagged potato chips server in a basket and passed around the cabin if less than 7xx miles or a sandwich/salad if greater.

Being used to CO - who ignores the foods rules for time of day or distance based on high revenue routes - I thought maybe the RCC agent was right.

I then checked at the gate and sure enough the gate agent indicated a sandwich/salad was being served. I still did not believe it and I notice the monitors showing a "snack basket" (potato chips) being serverd in F.

Checked again with a different agent at the gate - and he indicated sandwich/salad - but I questioned him on the monitor sign - then he backed down to the potato chip basket.

Hence, I ordered a sandwich at Wolfgang's near the gate to bring on board.

Of course the potato chip basket was served. The FA commented (positively) about me bringing my own food in F. She indicated the GA before the flight closed, asked her what was being served in F.

The point here is that agents don't know what their company serves on the flight. Best to look at the monitors.

UA and CO need to get together on the definition of an F snack. CO is always the cold plate - a few slices of lunch meat, cheese and crackers, plus fruit and brownie. At least when CO says it is a snack F flight - you know what you are getting.
So, I don't mean for this to sound as snarky as it does, but ...
You asked three different employees AND checked the website concerning what type of snack/meal you would get on a 1.5 hour flight? REALLY? Were you just bored or what?

Originally Posted by emanon256
Last year Q4 I was on ORD-DEN a lot, which I always assumed was a high rev route. Same flight each week, and I used my 6 remaining SWUs every week because UDU never worked for me on this route.

Sometimes I got dinner, sometimes it was the snack that consisted of a flat bread sandwich, other times it was the snack basket with chips and cliff bars. Mind you, this was the same flight, same mileage, same time!

I was on the same flight last week on a CR1, it was labeled as "Snack" and it was a huge, fancy, and tasty pasta salad with soup and bread sticks.

I just hate the lack of consistency!

Last week I also heard the following conversation.

PAX to FA, "Wow, Ive never flown first class, this was worth the $150 to upgrade, how much is it normally."

FA to PAX, "It costs about $500 to fly first class, but I guarantee you not a single person up here paid to fly first class, no one actually pays, United even give free upgrades to all of their frequent fliers, they just started doing that, they all fly for free."

I can't tell you how much that pissed me off.
While certainly tactless in how she said it, she was not incorrect. Very few people actually pay for F domestically on any airline anymore. Why did this piss you off?

Last edited by redheadtempe33; Apr 6, 2011 at 12:29 am