FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Snack in F on UA means something different than Snack in F on CO
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:22 pm
ande777emt

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I had a similar experience with a gate agent...Frankly, I don't blame the G/A, but the whole process of them being in the dark...

Flew ORD-LAS on an 9PM departure a few weeks ago. Because I connected into ORD, didn't have a chance to grab dinner before my travels commenced. Asked at the RCC, they didn't know if there was a true 'meal' or not. Went down to the gate about 20 mins before boarding, asked again, "It says here, 'refreshments' will be served in F". I assumed and pressed further, "So, that means no meal, just the PopChips and Cliff Bars, right?...No salad or sandwich or the like?" He countered, "Uhhhhh...It's something between those two".

I FIGURED it was just the snack basket, even though the G/A was less than helpful...So I grabbed something. Glad I did, it was just the basket...Surprising for a 4+ hour flight, even with a late departure.

Yet another negative byproduct of UDU, IMhO...I'm sure management's take is, "We're giving them F for free! Why should we have to feed them properly?"

ORD-LAS is a very leisure heavy route, hence they didn't serve a red eye meal. I've had other late UA flights of 3-5 hours to non leisure destinatons and the red eye snack du jour (wrap, sandwich, or whatever else they think of) was served.