FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - clothes while losing weight
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:44 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Bottom line: for a guy at least it's no problem wearing a size up and cinching your belt tighter and tighter. It only starts to look odd when you are 2 sizes down.
Exactly. I waited when I first lost weight, not knowing if it would stick. Then people at work started asking me if I was OK, and finally a gal pulled me aside and suggested I buy some new clothing (especially pants). I finally got rid of the last of my biggest pants, and think all that I have now fit (heck I can now wear a pair of jeans I saved from over 15 years ago).

The difficult thing now is finding pants that fit. I went from a 34 to a 30 (possibly a 28 depending on brand), x 32, which are extremely difficult to find. I've found that Dillards has good quality clothing (all the big brands plus their house brand), and they have a couple big sales throughout the year--their biggest on Jan 1 (so long as you can deal with the crowds it is fantastic).

Shirts for me are very hit or miss, brand dependant. I can wear an XL in one and a M in another. The difficult thing there is getting one that fits in the chest while not coming untucked (wearing and tucking my undershirt into my underwear helps).

Buying suits for me is a complete nightmare. I asked the salesperson, "can I just take a jacket from one and pants from another?" If looks could kill... Eventually I was directed to their, "European cut," selection, which was a bit more realistic, but still needing major alterations. I had just gotten 2 suits before I lost weight, but a gal in my office tailored them for me--at work ^