FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN temporarily grounds 79 733s; check your flight status!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:22 am
WayUpInTheAir

Programs: DL Plat Med, SW A-list, AS MVP Gold ; *wood Gold, Hyatt Gold; Hertz #1 Prez Circle
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
In today's age of communicaitons, WN should:

1. Immediately put as a headline of major interruptions on their Web Page.
2. Call in extra staff to manage a phone bank -- even if it means a message from the main line for another number to call if your flight is affected.
3. Have a notification system to all affected passengers and, if possible, have some rebooking options to stem the inbound phone calls.
4. Have some extra staff at all airports where cancellations/major delays are likely.

Although these situations do not happen too often, they do pop up due to weathers, accidents, etc. and all arilines should have an Effective contingency plan they can put into place in a matter of hours.
Amen! And especially to your point about having contingency coverage for the phone bank.

Epilogue:
After waiting for an hour on the phone to speak with customer service, I was told that my only option for getting to Austin from any of the Bay Area airports would have me arrive in Austin tomorrow night. Too late to salvage my weekend plans, including attending a concert. Southwest basically gave me the options of rebooking or refunding my ticket, with no other compensation for the inconvenience. I'll take the refund - and my future business elsewhere.