FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:11 pm
zfxr

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
ARCHIVE: AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons

Ok, perhaps I am going to start a flame war, but here goes...

I am starting to grow tired of AA out of ORD and am considering switching over to UA. My current status is Gold, although I have made it to Platinum in the past. Usually fly about 15-20 trips these days, all domestic.
I fly to DFW, JAX, OKC, SAN (maybe once a year), PHL, CHA and SFO for vacation.

So far this year, out of 10 flights, 3 were cancelled. One weather, two mechanical. Two more flights were 3 hours late...
The two kicks were - most PHL flights are now CRJ700's and not MD80's. And... My favorite DFW flights operating on a 777 was replaced by an MD80

So am thinking about going over to UAL, since they offer econ +, more flight options from ORD. Seems like AA cuts more and more flights from ORD, the expansion is going on at LAX and DFW?

I do like upgrades, although being Gold I know the odds on a Sunday, Monday or Friday are about as good as Chicago lowering taxes

I was also wondering how the UA vs. AA bennies are? My company does pay for lounge access, so thats a wash for me. Although I heard the Red Carpet club has better booze?

Thoughts? I figure some of you guys n' gals do this a lot more then I do and would have some good advice...

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE:

To help our FT members access current/germane information, the older posts in this thread from 2009-2010 have been spun off into an archive thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...1-archive.html

This will hopefully: 1) help our UA FTers find up-to-date discussion about AA/AAdvantage as compared to UA/COdbaUA/MileagePlus and 2) allow our AA FTers (some of whom are also UA flyers) to provide their anecdotes and experiences.

Thanks again to all our members for helping make FT such a valuable compendium of insights and a great community! ^

/AAdvantage Moderators

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm