FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Paradise. (& back). MNL-MPH with 2P & DG (+pics)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:21 am
afterDawn

Programs: QF PS, EK SkyWards Blue, SQ Krisflyer
Manila

Part V - Manila

We spent the next few days in Manila, eating a lot and drinking to excess. The city was grimy but orderly and despite the many automatic-weapon toting security guards we never felt unsafe.

Manila Jeepney. These vehicles provide cheap transport to many Filipinos. They also clog most streets in the inner metro area.

Oddly enough, the best chicken kebabs I have ever eaten were from an open air restaurant in Manila's Malate district. This was the 1.2kg party platter...

... which we completely demolished.

Manila's Intramuros district.

Interior of the San Agustin church.

We were staying in Ermita, an area of central Manila known for its nightlife and tourist amenities. It seemed as though we were the only 3 foreign males who weren't in Manila to secure the attention of Filipino women. In fact, when I casually remarked as such in a bar near our guesthouse, people asked us what we were doing here.

Anyhow Manila proved to be as fun, historic and edgy as I had hoped and it was with considerable sadness that I considered having to leave. This sadness was was obliterated by a horrendous stomach infection brought on by a 7-Eleven hot dog. When the morning of our flight came, I thanked the lord. Then I remembered that it would take almost 20 hours to get home and to be perfectly honest, I cried a little bit.