FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:42 am
rocky
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Overall, I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Because central Amsterdam is so small, you can walk to it from the train station, or take the #13 or #17 tram.

At check-in, they advised that they normally upgrade platinum members to executive rooms, but because it was NYE, they were all full. Same with canal views. (She did offer that if I wanted to check back the next day, they might be able to move me.)

The doorman was quite friendly and helped me to my room. Despite taking the elevator to the fifth floor, there were still three sets of stairs we had to negotiate.

As pointed out earlier, this was the top floor in the canal house. The room itself did feel a lot more spacious than it seems in the picture. By European standards, it felt relatively spacious -- the bedroom was more spacious than the rooms at the Park Tower in London.

Gorgeous hardwood floors. And I liked the pitched ceilings.

It felt more like a nice B&B than a cookie-cutter luxury hotel. I believe someone here mentioned that the hotel is better classified in the "charming collection" ... I agree that it's quite charming, but it also felt luxurious.

The bed was very comfortable. One oddity: in most of Europe, a "king" is really two twins put together with king bedding. In this case, as near as I can tell, it was a real king, but the bedding but was split. (Two twin-size comforters.)

Platinum amenity was stroopwafels and a bottle of water.

Breakfast was included in my rate and was a buffet at Pulitzer's. Not bad, but nothing outstanding.

The concierge at the hotel left a lot to be desired. Because I was there NYE and new things might be closing early, I asked specifically about the Rembrandt house and was assured that it was open until it's usual time. It wasn't.

On the following day, the concierge was unable to help me locate a coffee shop that I had the name of.

Check out was relatively smooth.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the place.

[This message has been edited by rocky (edited 01-05-2003).]