FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical emergency on flight - discussion and experiences
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlightNurse
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
As a RN, I don't carry my "credientials" with me. If a FA, asked for help then wouldn't allow me to tend to the sick pax until I showed her my "Credientials" I would just go back to my seat.

I have been on 3 flights with medical emergency's, and not once was I ask to show proof.

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I've witnessed one medical emergency as well (also on DFW-LAX). Just climbing out of DFW, and the elderly man in front of me loses consciousness. His wife is hysterical slapping his forehard to try to regain consciousness. FA's were still seated, and people were ringing the call button like crazy. The FA finally came to see what the problem was, made a page for a physician, one came forward. One FA attended to the pax, got out the AED, and was calming the wife. The other FA documented every single aspect in a notebook, and wouldn't even let the physician and nurse near the pax until she confirmed their credientials. That impressed me. The pax eventually regained consciousness and seemed fine, stayed in his seat, and we continued to LAX.

It was fascinating to watch the FAs manage the situation with perfect precision and professionalism. Unfortunately, the distraction delayed the hot towel service, so I was forced to send a complaint to AA and demand compensation.