FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SkyMiles redemption on Aeroflot
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:07 am
eheinz

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by rb.sr
even though I believe the Delta info available to GA (from Timeatic) says visa required for transfer from SVO2 to SVO1, there is a sterile transfer available (they collect the pax and drive a van across the runways to the other terminal). So, if you are will to risk being denied boarding for lack of Russian visa, you can transit at SVO to CIS destinations without an (expensive) Russia visa.
Except that -- at least at present -- SU 563 to ULN departs from SVO2-D, same arrival terminal as the SU flights from the US. So a simple visaless transit should be no problem, though with a 20:00 departure you'll want the second of the two daily SU flights from NYC to minimize your stopover in SVO.

Although I haven't booked eastward award tix on SU, I have booked many headed west from Moscow using my DL miles. In my experience, expertflyer is good but not perfect in showing availability (SU evidently holds some back for its own); Russians tend not to book their award travel too far in advance (so my guess is there should be summertime availability right now); and, anecdotally, award availability seems to be based on a fixed number for each flight that does not vary based on revenue bookings (e.g.,. I have booked award tickets on otherwise rather full flights, but have never seen previously-unavailable award seats suddenly open up shortly before departure of half-full flights).