FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do we really want non-English threads just for the sake of it?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:48 am
Jenbel
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
IMHO, no. Although this is an international board, the accepted norm has been english on this board for many years.

If it were in OMNI, it'd be one thing, but I think in the travel related fora, english should be the language used.

Some other posts (dating back a while):

The norm is that all signatures must be in english as well -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11281810-post1.html (bullet point #4)
Actually, the rule that signatures had to be in english was rescinded following the experience of the moderators (of whom I was one) in trying to enforce that rule.

And the link still goes to a private forum

I do think it seems a pretty unimportant thing. There have long been posts on the airline boards which are not based in english speaking countries, where news is posted in the language it is written in, and an english summary is provided for those of us who don't speak German/Dutch/French. So FT is not only about english.

I would say the desire to have only english only comes from the fear that you might miss something if posted in another language, or not able to be involved -which is how someone who may speak some english, but not enough to feel comfortable with posting questions or discussions may feel. Is it right that your desire to be able to read everything should restrict someone else's involvement on FT?