FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - anothe rant on UA by a CO fan
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:21 am
andrewwm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FJY787
My wife and I just completed SFO-ICN. I believe CO/UA had an incredible fare at about $600 US AI for this trip. So we decided to get some miles.
How much was Asiana on this route? Probably hundreds more right? Are you willing to pay hundreds more for an economy seat with somewhat better food and AVOD but less miles?

You get what you pay for, not sure why you expect United to provide excellent Y cabin experience, generous frequent flyer miles, and a cheaper fare than competitors.

I view United long haul in Y as being locked into an aluminum tube for 10 hours and plan accordingly. Anything United gives above that I consider a bonus.

UA seemed to have the old flight attendants ever. I'd say most were probably older than 45. both men and women.
What's age got to do with anything? My best service experience ever on United was with a crew from LHR that were all generally +45 plus.

I can see why other Asian carriers charge so much more. And it certainly shows.
How many miles did you get for your United flight? How many would you have received on Asiana?

Well, UA despite of its issues got me there and back. safely. rather inexpensively I might add. so maybe I shouldn't complain so much.
1) You got (at minimum valuation) $200 worth of miles for a $600 flight.
2) What else do you expect from Y cabin experience for that price other than getting you there safely?

Everyone loves to complain about how kettles that shop by price are putting so much downward pressure on Y cabin service. Frankly, though, I don't blame them. If the difference in price is a few hundred $$, just think of the nice meal + wine you could have on the ground instead of getting an extra roll and a salad with a few extra olives on the plane.