FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shanghai in a Wheelchair, Questions?
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:23 am
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
My only experience to date with wheel chairs in Shanghai was at Expo last year with my friend's elderly parents. Since they could walk on their own, albeit with great difficulty, things went rather smoothly. I also learned that almost all subway stations have elevator access.

That having been said, it's not a wheel chair friendly city on the whole. For example, the only way for pedestrians to cross some of the larger roads is via stairs and footbridge.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider hiring a wheelchair accessible van for your trip. It shouldn't set you back more than $500. Finding one might require some research on your part, but they do exist.
Agree with moondog's advice for your situation--would be well worth the money. You may even want to have this arranged for airport pickup and drop off. Sorry, but I just don't see you being able to get around by standard public transport. Even amenities in public places such as elevators are often locked off and a staff member will have to be approached so you can get access. There may be some experiences that you will not be able to have, a pity, but in China, that's the way it goes. I think being in a power wheelchair and not able to easily get in/out of it, you are actually in a less flexible situation than someone who can use a manual wheelchair and can walk or stand for short distances--there's a few more options for those folks.

As to places to stay, you might want to make some specific queries to hotels on your preferred shortlist, on suitable rooms and on accessible pathways. You'd be surprised how many newish, upscale properties have physical layouts that put a couple of steps in the pathway, and forget the accessible ramp. For well-known places, some FT'ers may have direct firsthand knowledge, and/or are in Shanghai enough that they could take a look at the entry-lobby-elevator-path, at least. I prefer the French Concession area to the Bund Area, but that's just me.