FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FLIGHT#31 Emirates #412 A380 First Class SYD-AKL Shower Pics/Video
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:21 pm
olafman

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
FLIGHT#31 Emirates #412 A380 First Class SYD-AKL Shower Pics/Video

FLIGHT#31
Emirates Airlines #412
Sydney, Australia (SYD) – Auckland, New Zealand (AKL)

Date: March 5, 2011
Departure 08:45
Arrival: 14:00
Length: 03:15
Miles flown since start of trip: 56,956 mi.
Aircraft: Airbus 380-800
Seats: FIRST 3DF, ECONOMY 46J

I’m a travel geek. I’ve written this before. When I first heard that Emirates would be installing two showers for their first class passengers on their A380s, I immediately added that as a new travel goal. I WANT THAT! I had already experienced Emirates First Class suite on a flight to South Africa. BUT I WANT TO TAKE A SHOWER AT 39,000 FT.

So March 5 has been a date that both Corbin and I have been looking forward to for quite a while. I used EK Skywards miles to get me a roundtrip SYD-AKL-SYD First Class ticket. I also got Corbin a one way ticket SYD-AKL in First Class. Terry just rolled his eyes and didn’t mind sitting in economy for the three hour flight.

Inevitably when talking about our year of travel with other people, taking a shower on the Emirates flight was offered as one of the highlights. It also seemed like a good field trip activity as part of our son’s “Fifth Grade Around The World”. Emirates is the only commercial airline that offers in-flight bathing so most people have never heard of this!

CHAUFFEUR TRANSFER:
We arrived in Sydney the day before from Melbourne and stayed at a simple airport hotel. I had forgotten to book our chauffeur transfer until that afternoon. So I called the local EK office in Sydney and she said she would try hard to get it confirmed for us. A bit later the limo company called saying they would be there at 7:00 am for our 8:45 am flight. I warned them that we have lots of bags so we needed something more than just a sedan.

I also noticed when failing once again to use online check-in that they had Corbin down for a child’s meal. I know that I would never order him that muck. So when I was calling about the car, I also mentioned that he would prefer not to eat “kid food”. Even though the flight was within 24 hours, she would call catering personally to make sure they got the request. It’s nice to fly first class.

At 06:55 a very nice Mercedes van pulled up and the driver quickly loaded our five big bags. I made my typical joke “I’m really glad we travel so light!” The driver tried to fake a laugh.

The hotel was immediately adjacent to the airport so the journey was maybe five minutes. I had called the hotel asking if we could just walk it but they said it was too far with suitcases. Terry decided that he wanted to walk it for some exercise and would meet us at the curb. Corbin and I pretended that he was our personal secretary who had gone ahead to make sure everything was arranged properly.

CHECK-IN:
The first class check-in desk was available when we walked up. Check-in took a very long time. At some point she asked about paperwork for our electronic Australian visa since we would be returning there. Since it was electronic nothing was in our passport. I really didn’t have a clue where that paperwork was and she said she would look it up. Since one of us was in economy and the other two in first, she let me know that she was doing me a favor by tagging all the bags with the first class priority tag. Most people would have just done it and not said anything. Corbin and I were so excited about this flight and tried to ignore her unfriendly attitude.

She gave us a Fast Track pass but it wasn’t needed at this time of day. Soon enough we were following the signs to the Emirates lounge. I thought the lounge signage for all the airlines was very good throughout the airport.

LOUNGE:
I had booked the first class tickets in Terry and Corbin’s names because if we were going to purchase a real ticket I wanted the miles. Also EK gives me 12K extra baggage allowance as a EK Silver. I wasn’t sure they would let me in the lounge as a guest so when we entered I told them that Terry and Corbin were in First and I’m in Economy. Could I be their guest? At first she said no but then asked if I was Gold. No but I am a Silver. She took my card, punched some keys and said she would let me in this time. Yeah!

The Emirates Lounge serves both First and Business class passengers. This ends up being good for the business passengers because the food offerings are amazing for non-hub lounge. For the first class passengers it is a bit crowded. Either way it is a great lounge.

A view across the lounge

Chairs with views of the tarmac

We chose a nice location by the window with lots of power points and headed off for some breakfast. On my first pass, I chose a wonderful ramekin of poached egg over spinach topped with Hollandaise with a hash brown. Flying First is also a great reason to have a mimosa at 7:30 in the morning. On my second pass I chose a bagel with smoked salmon, egg frittata, sausage and another hash brown. It was all great but knew I’d be eating a First Class breakfast soon on board.

Lots of hot breakfast options

Cold Breakfast items

Juice and Cereal Stand

Eggs Florentine without the muffin

More of my breakfast choices

Thirsty?

The lounge had a nice massage chair that Corbin and I both enjoyed. He tried it first and then enthusiastically said I must try it. Ten minutes later I did really refreshed and ready for my next mimosa.

Corbin enjoys the massage chair

The lounge was filling up as our departure time grew near. Finally they announced that the incoming aircraft was late and so we would be departing about thirty minutes late. We were meeting Terry’s parents at the Auckland airport who were flying in from California and arriving four hours before us. I hated to make them wait longer but I can’t make an A380 appear!

As we sat there, a Singapore Airlines A380 drove by and I managed to snap a picture. Flying in one of her suites is my next goal. Soon they will fly it to the West Coast of the US so I’ll have more opportunity.

A SQ A380 drives the lounge

Finally our aircraft landed and Corbin and I snuck out of the lounge to get our first glimpse of our bird of the day. Due to the way the gates were positioned we could really only see her nose but we still got excited!

Our EK A380 ready for boarding

Back in the lounge we waited patiently as the ground crew cleaned the plane and loaded our food and drinks. I’m not sure who was more excited about our upcoming shower, Corbin or me. I kept making silly comments like “Corbin you sure smell like a little boy. But there isn’t enough time to shower in the lounge. WHATEVER CAN WE DO?!?! WAIT!!! We can shower in-flight! Thank-you Emirates!” Terry’s eye rolling persisted throughout.