FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice Losing Weight - $10,000 contest
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:40 pm
majikTib

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
I had a physical taken prior to the contest, and I have blood taken every 30 days to monitor glucose, cholesterol, and other factors. They have Medical City Hospital in Dallas monitoring the contestants.

I'm actually actively looking for a dietician/nutritionist locally. I've gathered information from two local GNC owners with background in nutrition and exercise science, I've talked with a few body builders I know for their insight, and I've talked with some students studying nutrition at the university level. I know, no real professional advice, but I'm trying to find anything I can.

60 lbs. in 90 days... I know it seems unlikely and improbable, and I realize The Biggest Loser includes a 24-hour controlled environment and isn't "reality", but I've also seen shows like "I Used To Be Fat" where people get exercise and nutrition plans and drop 90lbs in 90days. I see the before and after pictures of people who used P90X. I'm dedicated. I'm changing my habits and choices - I'm putting in way too much work into this just to gain it all back. I realize it isn't the healthiest way to go, but I haven't resorted to diet pills, thermogenics, water pills, bulimia, surgery, or any "easy" way out. I'm doing this as naturally as possible, putting my sweat into it and earning it. The only supplement I've used is protein powder, which I've used for years.

As far as my P90X, yes, I'm doing every session, even the Yoga (ugh). Before I started P90X, I was hitting the gym twice a day, 2 hours on Saturday mornings, and doing crunches/pull ups/hanging leg raises on my own at home. I've been active and athletic before, playing racquetball and basketball frequently and going to the gym, but still eating burgers and fries all the time. I've increased my activity, dropped my love of weight lifting and forced myself into the cardio I've always despised.

I've heard a lot people suggesting to cut out the rice - it's the most common response I hear. I also hear several warnings against doing that. Carbs feed your brain, and with the body builders I've talked to who go on no-carb diets right before competitions, they say it drastically affects your mood and brain activity. However... it does seem logical that eliminating carbs would be very helpful. I'm definitely going to cut it down a bit.

Just to reiterate - this is a life change for me. While I do want to be healthy, I'm at the point where I'm willing to do whatever it takes to lose an extra 10 pounds. $10,000 is a lot of money, and a big motivator, but the weight loss and changes I've seen to my body so far are the biggest motivation for me by far. I'm 27 years old and focused on getting my athletic form back.

Thank you for all the ideas. They're all very appreciated. I'm going to ask that this be relocated to the Travel Health and Fitness Forum where it belongs.

Last edited by majikTib; Mar 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm