FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:19 am
olm022

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I am flying intra-europe on a Z fare to FRA. My flight is at 4pm, but I'd like to catch an earlier flight instead. Of course, I don't want to pay the $400 change fee if I can avoid it. Can I standby for an earlier flight to FRA without a $400 change fee? It sounds like LH is pretty anti-standby unless they overbook our flight. I am in business on a Z fare. Does that make a difference? Thanks!
Lufthansa is very adamant about sticking to the rules of fares. So, if your ticket is changeable and there is a change fee attached to it, it will, in most cases. charge it (after all, this is how they ensure that its fully-flexible fares are sold, too). Your only options are:
1) the flight you are originally booked is overbooked;
2) LH knows in advance that your originally booked flight will not operate or there will be a very serious delay;
3) you will find an agent who, due to your charm or his/her absent-mindedness, will waive the change fee.

Also, be advised that since Z is the lowest business class fare basis, in addition to charging 400 USD, LH is supposed to charge the fare difference to the next available fare basis (D->C->J), which can add up between 200 to 1000 USD on top.