FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air France/Finnair business class JFK-CDG-HEL-CDG-BSL-CDG-NRT-CDG-JFK
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:10 pm
nycflyer75

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
The final leg of my almost world tour to France, Finland, Switzerland, Germany and Japan.

HEADING HOME...

(AF) AIR FRANCE 008
Terminal 2E, S3
To: New York John.F.Kennedy (JFK)
Terminal 1
777-300ER Affaires Class
Seat: 3E
Departure: 7:10 Actual: 7:30pm
Arrival: 9:55pm Actual: 9:55pm

Arrival in Paris on the A380 flight from Tokyo was quick and pain free. I followed the signs down to transfer and went through security again but at least there was no-one there and my next flight was departing from 2E S3. I went through the Accès n°1 priority lane, donned my blue plastic foot covers and through I went back into the departure terminals 2E S3. Awesome... from plane side through security and back into the departure terminal in about 5 mins.

Before heading to the lounge I roamed the Duty Free store right across from the security point to get some last minute items and spent the rest of the Euro's I had on me. Cashless I headed up to the same Air France lounge where I was a few days prior, this time there'd be less people occupying the Lounge. Wanting to relax and get a bite, ....seriously was I even hungry or just knowing there's always food I would expect to eat again. This is a habit that must be rid of once I get back home, otherwise I will get on the subway and expect there to be champagne, fresh bread, pastries, petite Fours etc...("bummer")

Once I finally found a seat... coat off, sweater off....jezz is it me or is it really that warm in the lounge! I roamed to get a glass of ____ and check out the evening service in the lounge. Well there was nothing to report back on. I perhaps thought there would something hot to eat but there was nothing. Maybe it was the time I was in the lounge, but seriously nothing except for chips, crackers packaged cookies and few slabs of cheese. Hum never mind glass in hand and a cookie I head back to my seat.
I find the airport quite uncomfortably warm and I could feel the sweat running down my brow. Some air conditioning or an open window would have been nice, yes it's winter so maybe an open window would have helped!

Boarding for AF 008 was quite chaotic and even with the La Premiere/Affaires Elite line it took about 5-10mins to just get to the scanners. There were several people getting a secondary search before boarding. I entered door 1L with business and First class found my seat and off to the bathroom to change. I miss the bathroom of the A380 because the bathroom on the 777-300ER in Affaires class is extremely small and cumbersome.
Side note: When I flew Delta in Business elite on the 777-200LR from SYD-LAX the bathroom was large with a full size mirror, dark wood floor and decorated with a fresh flower.
After some Cirque du Soleil moves I was ready and headed back to my seat. Slowly but surely the front part of the Affaires cabin which only has 2 rows (14 seats) was slowly filling up, but fortunately I had the middle seat next to me empty. Being only two rows it made the cabin more private but the distance between row 3 and the bulkhead are much closer than the row 3 seats on the 777-200ER.
Pre-departure drinks were served, Champagne, water and/or orange juice. Right before we were about to taxi, they brought a minor and sat him in the middle seat. He put on his headphones and played his gameboy... this kid knows how to fly!

Once airborne the seat belt sign was turned off the flight attendants jumped up to action. Even though I was exhausted and all I wanted to do was sleep, I had to remain awake for the final trip service. This was going to be my last champagne flight of the trip so of course I had to indulge.

Dinner was promptly serviced and I decided one more time to pair the meal with the Bordeaux Rouge.

DINNER

L'AMUSE-BOUCHE
Salmon with cream cheese spread
Apéricrêpes

GOURMET APPETIZER AND SEASONAL SALAD
duck & goose foie gras terrine, scallop tartare, herb creme walnut, fig and chestnut loaf, fig chutney and baby spinach

MAIN COURSE
grilled filet of beef with mustard sauce, buttered green beans,
and potato croquette

OUR SPECIAL SELECTION OF CHEESE

BASKET OF BREAD

DESSERTS
Our dessert trio:
chocolate mousse with mango and passionfruit,
almond pastry,chocolate cake
ice-cream

Espresso served at the bar

CHAMPAGNE
Billecart-salmon Brut Réserve

LANGUEDOC BLANC
domaine de Cigalus 2007 ou 2008 Gérard Bertrand
la découverte d'Olivier Poussier

BOURGOGNE ROUGE
Chorey-les-beaune 2008 Joseph Drouhin

BORDEAUX ROUGE
Moulis en médoc château chqsse)spleen 2007
cru bourgeois exceptionnel

After dinner I could not stay awake any longer and reclined my seat all the way and this time my feet actually were up against the bulkhead. Little uncomfortable so I had to push my body all the way up right into the alcove of the seat. Ear plugs in, Eye shades on and I was out. Maybe about 5 hours into the flight I woke up and checked the time, see how far we were out from New York and as I sat up the kid had morphed into an adult! I was a little startled and confused, What happened
The kid was now a 50/60 something year old man snoring away. I had a drink of water and back to sleep I went. I did wake up one more time because the 'kid' tripped over me trying to get out. About 30 mins before landing I woke up and freshened up and changed back into my regular clothes and went back to my seat and ordered a cappucino. There was no way I could even look at anymore food so apologies for not reporting on the light supper before arriving in the US. My stomach was ready to explode. I could just imagine the "subway commercial where the actors break the chairs, pop the pant buttons etc happening to me!"

We landed on time and parked at terminal 1, exited behind 2 of the La Premiere passengers via door 1L, off the aircraft and headed down the long corridor where the immigration hall was completely empty and waiting for our arrival. I had a really friendly immigration officer who was so genuinely nice and welcomed me home. 5 sec later I was through the baggage hall and out the door on to a late Sunday evening. I stood there smiling on the incredible journey that I had experienced the past 2 weeks,traveling in style and all I wanted to say, "HELLO AMERICA"...Than it dawned on me... These people waiting for loved ones, business associates or clients have no clue why I was standing still smiling, probably thought I was some random guy standing there on his first trip to the United States of America. All I could think of was.. 'what a schmuck...I am!

Back to the city in style I go....yep the Air train, LIRR and subway home

Seriously it was an amazing trip and I'm glad I had the experience of flying the A380 and sampling Affaires on the Trans Atlantic and across from Europe to Asia as well the AF code share on Finnair and AF's Regional airline.

Overall I enjoyed the service the most traveling from Paris to Tokyo, the exceptional food, beverages and the flight attendants. As for CDG it really wasn't an issue people have made it out to be here on flyertalk, it was easy to navigate. I do suggest knowing where to go before arriving at the airport to make it all streamlined and stress free experience.

Would I do it all again, you bet...though I would like to try it in La Premiere, which unfortunately Delta Skymiles doesn't allow...

Next trip maybe on Korean Air...

777-300ER LA PREMIERE
wish Delta skymiles could book La Premiere (First Class)