FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will United P.S. ever improve?
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:13 am
thetallone

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
I will say that the location of the power outlets in p.s. E+ is extremely inconvenient and that you either have to be a contortionist or on very good terms with your seatmates to plug in!
Yes! And you can't see them either so you don't know which was its facing. You also have to be an amazing tactile puzzle solver. Well, after an hours of poking around down there with my plug, I finally ripped the seat off while the person in the middle was gone and noticed that the plug orientation is upside down. So the grounding pin is on top, and the two flat slots are below it.

Originally Posted by UNITED959
First, you must have been on CO's Concorde Service (I'm sure they offer this; they are, after all, the greatest airline on the planet; just ask any NonePass member/CO loyalist) because on a good day CUN-EWR is 3+ hours.

But I digress.

The seats you experienced debuted in mid-2008 and really didn't get installed until 2009. So two years old at best. UA's p.s. started around 2004, so a good 5 extra years of use and abuse.

I'm not making excuses for UA, but you need to understand that planes do experience wear and tear. A few months ago, I flew on a LH 380 in First, and the seat trim that meets the carpeting had scuff marks all over the place. LH got their first 380 in 2010. Airplanes are not showpieces, they provide functional transportation.

Furthermore, 757s aren't exactly young airframes for UA, so is it a wise business decision to "gut" 757s to make them a little more shiny and new feeling? Perhaps it is for you, but when you think of the mountain of items that need attention at UA, I really don't think this is priority.
I accept your idea that it simply isn't a good business model for UA to gut these cabins and update them. I concede that there just isn't much to do about it. But do you think its fair that they call it 'premium' and that UDUs are not eligible?

Originally Posted by eightblack
There is a plethora of content on your experience above (search is your friend).

But here's my 2 cents.

Yes, you booked your wife and your ticket together. One PNR. But when the flight went to airport control at the 24-hr prior to departure window, you and the missus went your separate ways as far as UA's system is concerned.

Your upgrade request is processed via status, fare paid and time on list. You made it. She didn't - as the upgrade algorithm (if it wasn't interfered with by a Gate Agent) simply overlooked her using the criteria above.
All I can say is "bummer". I'd expect that with UDUs but when I offered 30,000 miles I'd assume she could just hop onto my elite bandwagon. Guess not

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 11, 2011 at 10:16 am Reason: multi-quote should be used here