FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will United P.S. ever improve?
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:50 am
mroban

Programs: AA EXP via status match, COdbaUA 1K
Huh, well I reckon I fly ps flights as much or more than anyone (I fly them as much as 2x a week between LAX and JFK). Since I am not one of those "ah I remember when we drank champagne and ate caviar in business class and ate off real china" types all I can do is compare UA ps to the service offered by other airlines. For me, I fly during business hours so I need wifi service. The C class is better than anything the competitors offer and if I feel like upgrading using miles there is almost always a seat available. I have yet to be denied an upgrade.

As for the product itself - I have only once not had working seat power - and was compensated 9000 miles as a result. I dont fly on airlines in order to find great food and as a result I dont quibble too much. The food in C is just fine. I neither look forward to it nor dread it (although the scones for breakfast are pretty darn good).

Generally the FAs are very good. When in Y, i can usually count on the ones that know me from my frequent trips to bring me free wine from F or C. The snackboxes are fine - when I fly Y it is usually a mid afternoon flight and I usually eat before I get on the plane. And the chocolate pretzel in the lite box is really good!

Quite frankly I really dont understand what all the criticism is about. If you want to you can complain about anything. I recently flew JFK-LAX in C and had a GS seatmate who told me that UA is far superior to any other domestic airline on that route. He said AA isnt even close. That was his opinion but coming from a GS (who also flies UA internationally) I felt that was a very strong endorsement and validation of my thoughts.

Things I love about ps - great FA's (for the most part), wifi (which almost alway works fine despite what some snarky posters make you think), huge C cabin, seat power, very comfy C seats, E+ in Y (even if its a little less than other E+). Things I dont like - no UDU. Thats it. I really like the flight and dont even mind flying in Y.

If UA decided to do away with ps but kept the wifi and the seat power, converted the plane to a 2 class plane (still with 26 C seats, but no F) and converted Y to the usual E+ split I wouldnt complain that much. I really fly it because its the route I need to fly, offers great value (the ticket prices are pretty good, I average about $350 for each RT), and it has wifi and seat power.

I give ps a ^ though and hope it stays.