FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Des Bains, Venice left Starwood 11/1/2008 [Master Thread]
Old Sep 3, 2003, 3:54 pm
bigjim

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Glad that you had a great trip. I unfortunately booked a point-stay 11 months ago at the Gritti Palace. The room description sounded incredible and was hoping for an upgrade due to Platinum Status - didn't know about the film festival.

I found the staff to be completely unattentive. Used 40,000 points for a two-night stay in the worst room in the entire hotel, I'm sure. The manager's only response was "the paying guests" get the nicer rooms.

Also, while not completely in the concierge's control, my unpleasant stay was topped off by the concierge convincing me to use the hotel shuttle to the airport for 60 Euro instead of the 80 Euro for a water taxi. I was told to arrive at 9 a.m. sharp or else I wouldn't make it to the airport when I should be there. I was there at 8:45 but their shuttle didn't show up. I tried to discuss it calmly with the concierge but he basically dismissed me - ultimateley, their shuttle arrived at 9:20 even though they led me to believe that they were putting me in a private taxi at their own expense (which just happened to stop at all of the other Starwood properties after they picked me up).

The Westin Excelsior in Florence on the other hand was incredible. I'm glad to know that there are other alternatives to the Gritti Palace in Venice.

[This message has been edited by bigjim (edited 09-03-2003).]