FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2011 MVPG Guest UG certs
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:56 pm
dave1013

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by dave1013
I just have a fear, and it is exactly that and I admit it, that the "good times" most of us have enjoyed with upgrade certs will not be around come January. What I mean is, we will all start being asked for the coupons when we check in - no exceptions. Jan. 1 is an arbitrary date, but it's my arbitrary date. I'd rather it be Dec. 31, 2011, but I reiterate my fear.

Most of us, myself included, have been afforded the privilege of sitting up front on the same coupon. I still have two of my four of my 2010 coupons. The other two I gave to a co-worker who didn't have status and was going to the east coast. My two remaining coupons should have been collected a long time ago; they weren't. I haven't been asked for them, and I haven't offered them, either. Bottom line: I've gotten something for nothing, many times over. I admit it, as should most of us. AS management also knows this and may conclude that the new year is as good a time as any to start tightening the belt a little. (Frankly, I hope I'm wrong because I have several trips booked for the first quarter and yes, I have called and upgraded myself via certificate. Hence, my interest in certificate-collection changes.)

AS could probably sell more F seats or at least get some buy-up's by dispensing with their largess. Less planes are in the air and F seats are a somewhat more precious commodity.

I realize there are some on the forum here who have strong feelings that this is how business should have been conducted all along. You're going to get your wish, it's just a matter of when.
BUMP to my post of a few months ago to share my experience in the last two trips I have taken (both of which involved upgrade-by-coupon) - I was asked for the coupon in both instances. This is within the last two weeks. Demanding the coupon now seems to now be hardwired into the check-in process whether you have OLCI'ed or not (one trip I did OLCI, one I didn't). Looks like the days of wine and roses are over!