FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kirkland 22" Carry On (new design)
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:10 pm
tikiboy

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by henryf
In an earlier post I said that the nearest Costco was 170 miles from here. I meant that visiting the nearest Costco outside of the one in located here in town requires a 170 mile drive.

Anyway...

Went by the local Tallahassee warehouse today. I was pleasantly surprised to find the new design bags in both black and red alongside of the older black Tumi knockoff bags. All of the cards on the new design bags had 21.5" listed as their vertical dimension.

I placed a new design bag against one of the Tumi knockoffs. When compared side by side, I would have no trouble believing that the new design bags are indeed 1/4"-1/2" shorter than the older Tumi type bags.

I purchased a new design bag and measured the vertical dimension at home. It comes in at 22" more or less. The older Tumi design bags measured close to 23".

Have not yet figured out how to reconcile the 1" difference in measured total length with the 1/4" to 1/2" difference observed in the side by side comparison. It might have something to do with the way the material is cut.

Expecting a dividend with my next Amex statement. I will probably keep the newly purchased bag with the original packing material. When the dividend arrives, I will go to the warehouse and return the bag and then repurchase the same bag using the dividend check.

I love it when a plan comes together.

So far, I am very happy.
I've had no issues cashing the dividend check at the membership desk without doing any return/repurchase.