FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:35 pm
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Arrow Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

The best hotel in Australia (and one of the best Westin's in the world) is the Westin Melbourne. Better than the Westin Sydney (which is an excellent hotel). The Melbourne hotel is not well known -- it is a stealth hotel, with few signs and sharing a building with luxury apartments. My taxi driver from the airport knew the hotel existed but didn't know exactly where it was or had ever taken a fare there. Perhaps because of this lack of recognition this Westin tries harder -- and succeeds in being far better than average.
The rooms have high quality furnishings (fabrics, drapes, furniture and a very cool remote control lighting system). Rather surprising as it is comparable to the St. Regis in NY and better than any Westin in the US has -- why are the Australian starwoods run to a much higher standard than the US hotels? the Westin Melbourne has higher quality toilertries than the Southgate! They use Aveda toiletries(same as the W in Sydney) and not the standard Westin toiletries (used by the Westin Sydney and every Westin in the US that I have stayed in).
The staff at the Westin is excellent and the Westin has a fantastic concierge. He can arrange anything and do it with aplomb.

My Platinum upgrade was to a huge corner room (with spa and a bathroom that was the size of some hotel rooms). While not a suite it had a separate hallway (with door) and was about 600 square feet with at least 10 windows. It was nicer than most suites that I have seen with a large functional desk and a sitting area with comfortable seating. I didn't expect the Westin Melbourne to be good, much less exceptional (it doesn't get a lot of press). Now I know that it is worth seeking out as the finest hotel in Melbourne and Australia (the Observatory in Sydney is close behind).