FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LEFT June 28, 2010: Sheraton Richmond West, Virginia
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:54 am
CO DCA

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Trip Report - Sheraton Richmond West 7/26-27

Stayed at this Hotel on a Priceline purchase. Received my Platinum benefits (that I was entitled to at this rate). The hotel is newly remodled, and the "Towers" area is pretty well decorated.

HOWEVER...Sunday morning at 5 am the fire alarm goes off. As we're walking back up the stairs the fire marshal says to us, "well now that this has happened again, I think we can pinpoint the malfunction." Fire alarm goes off again at 5:55 am. Talk to another guest who says "I've stayed here 4 times in the last 3 weeks, and this has happened 3 of the 4 times." Obviously, the management knows that there is a problem with the fire alarm in this building of the hotel.

Upon checking out, I ask the clerk if the hotel was "doing anything" for guests as a result of the inconvenience. Without apologizing for it, he says "what do you want?" Well I wanted an apology, but he calls the manager. When the manager arrives, and I state that I was asking about the alarm, she says "the hotel is not offering any discounts or reductions, this was a 'natural disaster.'" When I told her, I wasn't necessarily asking for money off, but maybe a meal, or some points she made the same statement, and followed it by "this hotel is a franchise. If you have any problems, you can call Starwood."

I promptly called the Concierge, and after initially being told that there were no Concierge available, one was located. She immediately took down my complaint, said she was very sorry, and offered to look into it Monday.

So I'd suggest if you're staying at this hotel, you ask if the fire alarm has been fixed, or ask to stay in a building other than the towers building.