FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (FARE GONE) UA/CO: PHL-SAN, PDX, SEA, PHX and LAS - $98 AI each way
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:59 pm
Bowgie

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by guavaking
Sorry to post it already charge USD 5/day parking fee on CLD. But still a good parking place with very short walk distance and good security.
You are correct; it is not free anymore. One website mentions an off-site long term parking lot. That was closed a long time ago. There is no legal on-street parking, either.

In reply to itsme, I really doubt UA is deliberately skewing results to fill CLD flights, and I realize you're kidding a little. CLD is probably just being treated as a co-airport with SAN.

Pairing a CLD segment with SAN return *might* actually be nice in the right situation. It's a short taxi or bus ride from CLD to Legoland theme park. It would take about four hours to go from CLD to SAN airport using public transit:

1. NCTD 309 bus north to Oceanside transit center.
2. Either Amtrak or NCTD Coaster train to San Diego downtown "Santa Fe sta"
3. San Diego airport bus outside the station to the SAN airport.
Evenings or weekends would have considerably slower connection times. Late night is impossible. I've done this a number of times, but from my house. I live within 2 miles of CLD airport.

Going to LAX, it's not fun for me to pay UA's discounted fare of $145 rt for CLD-LAX and only get about 86 miles each way because I don't have UA status for the 500-mile minimum.

Sometimes, I can add CLD-LAX segments to a continuing UA trip at not much cost. Not often, especially with me usually flying a certain other airline.

Last edited by Bowgie; Mar 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm