FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:31 pm
OlderGeek

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I already did the math for you guys that the challenge can be completed with a single J trip to Asia. Once completed, you get 8 SWUs, don't have to sit in the back of the plane for a single flight, and get 8 more SWUs when you cross the regular threshold before year's end. And all that can be had for less than $6k (using the Asia J trip) or for about 2 MR trips domestically if you route them correctly. Hardly very much of a sacrifice for a challenger IMO.

And your DL SWUs are nothing like the SWUs that you would get from AA since those are good on ALL fare classes...so no having to buy a higher fareclass only to waste that money if the upgrade request doesn't go through...
Your math is half right and half wrong.

NOW:

1. To meet the challenge, if I fly in J class in April to Narita I get 1.5 time 13490, or 20,235. Add a few trips in the back of the bus, or with 500 mile upgrades, and I meet the challenge and get 8 SWUs.

2. To get 8 more SWUs I have to fly 75,000 more by the end of the year - way above a 100,000 a year pace.

AFTER June 15th:

Correct.

SWU's have more value on Delta then before. You can use them in lower fare classes on AF and NW.