FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:53 pm
Cheerfulflyer

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
FAQS

Some Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) Does AA offer status match/challenge/exception to its published top tier elite program?
YES. AA offers Executive Platinum Challenge to top tier elites in competing airlines. Folks starting the challenge are given instant Platinum status for FREE and are given 3 months (start time of their choosing) to earn 25K EQPs.

(2) How much does it cost?
FREE. See (1)

(3) Am I eligible?
So far we have confirmed reports from the following elites in successfully enrolling into the XP challenge: Global Services and 1K members from United and Diamond Medallion Members from Delta. (Elites from other airlines who have been able to successfully obtain EXP Challenge are welcome to contact me and I will update this section accordingly. Thanks!)

(4) How do I sign up?
See post #2.

(5) How do I earn 25K EQPs?
Great Question! You earn 25K Elite Qualifying Points by flying AA or AA codeshare partners (with AA flight numbers) within a period of 3 months.

First class (A, F, P) earn 1.5 EQP/mile
Business class (D, I, J) earn 1.5 EQP/mile
Full Economy (B, Y) earn 1.5 EQP/mile
Discount Economy (H, M, K, L, W, V) earn 1 EQP/mile
Heavily Discounted Economy (G, Q, N, O*, S) earn 0.5 EQP/mile.

*Please note that O fares from anywhere in North America to Latin America earns 0 EQPs.

So completing this challenge is easiest if you fly First/Business and somewhat challenging if you are on heavily discounted fares. However, keep a watch for post#4, where you may find some very attractive deals including very affordable business and first class fares.

(6) What is the difference between EQPs and EQMs and why do they both matter?
EQPs = Elite Qualifying Points. EQMs = Elite Qualifying Miles. To complete this challenge, you want to focus on getting 25K EQPs. However, when you are done with the challenge, then you may shift your attention to EQMs as it might be more economical to maximize EQMs vis a vis EQPs.

(7) How much will it cost me to earn 25K EQPs?
This depends on how much you spend on your qualifying flights of course. Please be mindful of the fare classes listed in (5). Sometimes it pays to "upfare" to a class that earns 1EQP/mile or 1.5EQP/mile. If you are doing EQP runs to earn 25K points, then budget somewhere between $1500 to $2000 to meet the challenge. And all this while sipping your cocktail in First/Business, flying to an exotic location for a holiday and earning RDMS towards your next *O (One World) award travel.

(8) What are the benefits of this offer?
Instant Platinum status, which is equivalent to 1P on United. You get 100% RDMs; priority seating, exit rows, extra luggage, lounge (One World Sapphire) access. Then XP, which is equivalent to 1K on United if you complete the challenge. Great way to start flying AA. You also get 8 SWU vouchers good until Feb 2011.

(9) Isn't 3 months a very short time to do this challenge?
Not if you ask these AA flyers who have earned 100 EQMs in two months or less. I am not endorsing this. You know what is best for you.

(10) When will this program be offered again?
No idea. Keep calling AA to find out. Good luck.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Apr 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm