FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easter Island -- my experience
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:48 am
ALAN THE BRUSHKING

Programs: HILTON,MARRIOTT,SHERATON,UAL,AA,SW,DL,ETC
Recent visit to easter islands

Just returned last week from easter island. Great place to visit but make sure your guide knows what they are talking about. We were fortunate that our guide was from the island and was honest and said he did not know when he did not know instead of giving us some lip service.
The moai are 'just' 300-400 years old; they are not ancient. Since the island had, at most , 20,000 people, it seems that, prior to tribal warefare, their whole existence must have been carving out moais and moving them to their present positions.
We stayed at what is considered one of the 'better' places, the altiplanico (hope i spelled it right). About a 10 minute cab ride from the 'city'. (1970 era toyota cabs seem to be the general rule). No airconditioning, of course (bad for the environment), limited internet access (strongly suggest one buy/rent a phone while on the mainland if you want to stay in touch with the world), and so-so food for the limited b'fast buffet.

I was sort of hoping to find nirvana on the island. It is so far from anywhere, i was hoping to find a place to get lost in for a 2 or 3 week period annually (in order to relax and get away from daily hustle and bustle) but easter island is not the place for me. I think the lack of comforts....yes, i am relatively spoiled... Was a turnoff for me.

Words of wisdom...watch out for horse manure; horses are owned by families but allowed to roam where and whenever they wish. They appear poorly nourished and it bothered me to see young colts with their ribs sticking out.

I know i am rambling but i am glad i visited the island; i doubt if i would go back.