FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Charlotte [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2003, 3:18 pm
cohighcountry1k

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
I also stayed there last week (5-8 May). Check in was chaos as they had just finished the press conference for the opening of the hotel. They had two heavenly beds set up in the lobby that they removed later in the day.

Room: Ask for a room ending in 02 (and there are some on the other end of the hall but I don't remember what the room # ends in). These have large bathrooms with a glassed in 'wet' area that contains both the tub and shower. You walk through the door of the wet area and you are standing in the shower. next to that is the tub. The tub gets wet when showering. A strange set up, but I liked the big window in this area that let you look out at the city views.

The room is otherwise a standard Westin-style room with lounge chair, desk, and a 27 inch tv.

The health club was open and has all new Lifefitness equipment (eliptical trainers, treadmills, and bikes) plus a full set of Lifefitness weight machines. This was a very spacious facility and one of the best hotel health facilities I've used that wasn't part of a larger public health club. The pool wasn't open yet, but I had a peak. It's a small lap pool. Nothing special and their isn't a whirlpool. There is a nice locker facility (strange, since I would think everyone could go back to their room to shower) with a large sauna.

I ordered room service dinner one evening. The menu they have in the room is somewhat limited for such a large hotel. I ordered off of the main restaurant menu and had some type of chicken dish. It was good, but overpriced at over $30 with the service charges! I agree that they need to work on their food offerings.

Came back to my room one evening and the housekeeping staff had removed a half of bottle of wine I had left in the room! Service Express graciously offerred to replace it. I asked for free breakfast instead which they immediately agreed to. Of course, the didn't quite get the order right and the kitchen staff didn't know that it was suppossed to be complimentary.

I also had a lot of trouble with my room key. They couldn't make one that would work and for two days I had to be accompanied to my room by a person from the front desk! They did buy me a glass of wine for the trouble, but really it was just a minor annoyance. Also, the safe in my room was locked when I arrived. They set security to come and open very quickly.

Overall, I think this is a nice addition to Charlotte and will be staying there again next week. They definitely have the best beds in town and the nicest health facility.