FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Charlotte [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2003, 6:02 am
mauld

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
New Westin Charlotte Reveiw

Well, after multiple delays and various other problems, this much anticipated new Westin in CLT has finally opened. I had been in contact with some of the senior staff members for some time, and was able to make a reservation for this past weekend--checking in yesterday and leaving tomrrow.
Overall it is a beautiful hotel, but as expected there are still some glitches to be worked out. The lobby is all marble, glass & leather with a bar (Bar 10) off to the right, and a dinning room set in the rear. My room was ready, and I was given the Platinum Amenity card, but no one offered to assist me with my bags (didn't really need it), and I did have to ask where the elevators were. My room (#1923) was ok, and except for the heavenly bed & shower didn't appear much different from a Sheraton / Hilton/ Marriott 'anywhere USA'. It was small with a king bed, chair, desk & dresser with a tv. Bath was small, but did have the curved shower rod & 'heavenly shower head'. A fluffy robe was hanging on the door with only one large bath towel and a couple of smaller hand towels. I did receive a note from the hotel manager saying they would have given me a suite, but they were not completed yet. Overall, I found this to be a small/average sized room with a view overlooking the nearby covention center garage and then ontowards UpTown Charlotte.
A bit later in the day, I received a basket with 3 bottles of juice and some cakes with a note from our 'corporate manager' at the hotel as well as a coupon for a free movie.
(PS- you should be aware there is no bottled water out, as in some Westins for Platinums).
A couple of problems I encountered were mainly due to the newness of the hotel:
#1- There was no menu or book describing the hotel & services. Nor any stationary etc.
#2- After returning from dinner, my message light was on, I checked with the operator-and there were no messages, but even after numerous calls they couldn't get the light to stop blinking (it is still doing so).
#3- Dinner at the restaurant needs some work.
First there is only a set/prix fixe $29 menu available for dinner, and even though there are lots of staffers wandering around, when I was there at 5:30 on a Sun evening with only 2 other tables occupied, service was lacking. No bread was offered until after my salad was served and eaten, then just prior to my entree arriving, flat bread was brought & almost immediately removed to make room for the potatoes/vegetables. Additionally, at the end of the meal, when I mentioned I didn't want to see the desert menu-- my check was immediately brought with no menion of coffee etc. I assume these problems will be worked out, but I feel they should offer a couple of other options on the menu aside from the Prix Fixe, given there are no other restaurant options at the hotel.
#4- I noticed a charge for $12.95 for in-room movie (which I didn't use) on my 'room review', when brought to the front desks' attention, they did promise to remove it, as well as again attempting to stop my message light from blinking. I'll see how successful on my return to my room tonight.
#4- None of the ice machines on any of the floors are working. There are no signs advising of this fact, and when I called down I was told 'when I ordered room service, they could bring up some ice then'--(but as there was no room service menu, I was unable to order, yada, yada...) Also while the phone has a 'Services' button, that pertains to everything, no specific 'room servicee'/'message'/ button on the phone.
I realize this hotel has only been open barely a week, so I know that many of these problems will be worked out before long.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 05-12-2003).]