FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo hotels for a wheelchair user?
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:54 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickW
Is it possible to go anywhere on public transport in Tokyo without having to deal with elevators or escalators? It's not like there are actually really that many lines at ground level in the centre of the city -- it's all either subways or elevated railways.
I think I understand

With the JR Yamanote line access is quite straightforward in most train stations. The elevators being in relatively convenient locations.

With other lines, such as the Oedo line (as has already been discussed), the access is there and this looks good theoretically, but the reality is that you have to go along one long corridor to get to an elevator, get out, go along another long corridor to another elevator and, in some extreme cases, so on and so on, zig zagging the station to get to the ticket halls and platforms.

The instinct to stick with the Yamanote line is, I’m convinced, a sound and sensible one.

I also used the Toei buses when I stayed at the Strings and found these to be a very curious and interesting experience which I would heartily recommend as a one off. The Toei buses were handy to go from Shinagawa to the Azabu Juban/Shirogane border where my father-in-law lives but there are good links to Roppongi also, so this would be an alternative way to get to some of the Tokyo districts which would require a Metro journey.
Let me know if you need a link to help with planning a route for these.