FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:23 pm
DCfree

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Since you seem to be asserting some legal knowledge, might I ask what law is being violated? Is this considered a Misdemeanor? Or perhaps a felony?

Might I also ask what sentencing one would face if prosecuted and found guilty, and for that matter for what law would they be prosecuted for breaking?

It seems that immediately depositing the coins in the bank would be in violation with the intended purpose of the program. I don't see the program being the same as federal law. So the risk then, is to be banned from participating in the program.

But, again, if I'm wrong, I'd be quite curious to see any example of criminal (or civil) prosecution for not complying with the intended purpose of the program, and of course more interesting than that would be to see an example of a conviction.

First, let me say that I doubt anyone will get prosecuted for this. All things considered it seems like relatively minor stuff.

The issue isn't just the failure to comply with the intended purpose of the program. In buying the coins one affirmatively agrees to comply with the purpose, while arguably having no intent to do so. A material, knowlingly false statement to a government agency is a felony. 18 USC 1001. I don't know the precise legal status of the US Mint within the government, but this seems to fit. Bottom line -- making a false statement to the gov't to get something is a risky endeavor. (And also kind of wrong, no?).