FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo hotels for a wheelchair user?
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:56 am
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by NickW
It wouldn't have thought it was significantly worse than the walking route; as I play it through in my head. I might be missing something significant though, as I've never actually tried it in a wheelchair.
I think you're spot on, it's not significantly worse than the walking route, but -to me- the walking route is already pretty inconvenient. Having to deal with elevators etc makes an already long trip even more arduous. I do agree, though, that the GH is probably not in the same league as the ANA IC as far as inconvenient access to public transportation is concerned.

A general concern with the subway lines is that they just introduce an added layer of complexity. Although they may be accessible, figuring them out (finding elevators, alerting station staff, etc) is something I'd rather avoid for a short three day trip for a first-time visitor. There are some trip reports on various disability forums, and they all indicate that Japan is much more accessible than most travelers would think, but that access is often cumbersome, requires searching, long trips, and extra time. I don't feel particularly bad about not wanting to venture into the subway system considering that there are plenty of able-bodied travelers who are afraid of venturing past the Yamanote line!

Thank you so much for the Wakakoma maps! That's a great resource!